Please complete the Online Application.
NOTE: We recommend that you complete your video prior to filling out the Online Application. The prompt for this video is:
Please record a 3-5 minute video of yourself talking about your research, speaking as if you were communicating with an audience who knows nothing (or very little) about your research.
You can find detailed instructions to help you complete this task below.
IMPORTANT: Instructions for recording and uploading your application video:
- Record your video using any setup that is convenient for you (further instructions for using a basic Mac or PC webcam setup can be found below). Smartphone cameras and webcams are perfectly acceptable recording devices. Save the digital video file on your computer (preferred formats: .mpeg, .avi, .mov, .mp4, .wmv).
- Please upload this video file to your M+Box account. If you do not have an M+Box account, you can create one by navigating to: http://www.itcs.umich.edu/storage/box/.
- Click "Log in to M+Box" at the top of the left-hand menu, and use your UMich username and password to log in.
- Drag and drop your video file into your workspace, or click "Upload" (in the upper left corner) and select your video file.
- After you upload your video file into your workspace, you should see a "Share" link to the right of the file name in the workspace. Click the "Share" link.
- A pop-up with the link address itself should appear, and to the far right, there should be a pull-down menu that says "Access." Change the settings to "Your Company." This will require that people will need both the link and to login with a umich.edu e-mail address in order to access your video file. This should keep your file secure, but also give the RELATE coordinators access to it.**
- Copy/paste the URL associated with your file into the box in the last question of the application.
**Note: If you don't see the "Your Company" setting, go to M+Box Account Settings>"Content & Sharing" and modify the settings for shared links accordingly to allow the option "Your Company" to be active.
PLEASE NOTE: This video does NOT need to be polished or of high-quality--any recording device, including a smartphone, computer with webcam, or other device, will do.
Contact us if you do not have access to a device with video recording capabilities.
Below, we have provided basic instructions or resources on how to record a video with a Mac or PC setup. Please note, you do NOT have to follow these instructions if you already know how to record videos with your equipment or if you prefer to use a different setup. If you have problems completing this part of the application, please contact us.
Instructions for recording your application video using a Mac computer with a built-in webcam:
- Launch the Photo Booth application. (This comes standard, and already installed, with a Mac computer.)
- There is an icon bar on the left, underneath the window showing the live view of your webcam. The right-most icon is a film strip. Click on this to enable video recording.
- There is a red button with a video camera icon in the center of the bar underneath the live-view window. Click on this to begin recording.
- A series of tones will sound, and a red countdown box will appear in place of the red record button. After the "3...2...1" countdown, the live feed from your webcam will become the recorded video feed. Use this time to complete the assignment ("Please record a 3-5 minute video of yourself talking about your research, speaking as if you were communicating with an audience who knows nothing (or very little) about your research.")
- Click the grey button with the square icon (in the same place the the red record button had previously occupied) to stop recording.
- A thumbnail of your newly-recorded video should appear in the bar at the bottom of the Photo Booth window. You can double-click it to see the recording play.
- To export the video file, drag and drop the thumbnail to your desktop. (The default is that this file is a .mov file.) You can now upload this file to your M+Box.
Instructions for recording your application video using a PC computer with a webcam/microphone:
- Ensure that your webcam and microphone are plugged into the appropriate ports of your computer.
- Make sure that Windows Movie Maker is installed on your computer. If you do not have Windows Movie Maker installed on your computer, you can download it here:http://www.soft76.org/windows-movie-maker.html?gclid=CMq8zIuFwr0CFdBcMgodVzUA1A
- MediaCollage provides good instructions for how to use Windows Movie Maker to record a video. We recommend that you follow their guidelines, which you can find here:http://www.mediacollege.com/internet/email/video/windows-movie-maker.html